National Model Painting Month (NaMoPaiMo) - My first time participating...

Thursday, February 29, 2024

 Hello, Kraftie Friends!

NaMoPaiMo happens in February and it's my first time participating since I only found out about it end of last year (you can read more about it HERE).

I painted stuff before, but have never painted a model horse (I don't even recall painting any figurines...mostly canvas, paper, maybe rocks...I can't remember...I'm middle-aged!)

So, I bought a set of unpainted Breyer Stablemates and started practicing painting my first victim in January. Then, I also tried some of my other craft supplies on a second victim...you'll see them later on.

End of January I decided on my model...only to realize he's a boy after I entered the challenge...I wanted a girl!

Here's my (long post) journey with this new experience...

Day #1: he went through an "operation"...it was a bit hard to do due to the size of my model...

Note to self for next time: choose a bigger model!




And I tested my medium on mane and tail.

Day #2-3 (cause I "work" late at night): I primed the dremeled areas with Gesso. After it dried, I put on the first layer of metallic acrylic paint on the body and added more yellow to mane/tail to check on how medium would react. I was half-asleep...

Day #3-4: Some progress...added another layer of paint on body...then, I didn't like how some areas were looking...so, regress...


I didn't really prep the model as I should, so some seams were showing up weird with the paint...I sanded it down, as much as I could, without disfiguring the model too much...I don't have the supplies to fix anything...I'm even too lazy to prime at this point...lol

Day #5: Took a break 'cause was working on a custom order - a Fox fancy-fold Card.

Day #6: Thought I would be able to paint at least 1 more layer…didn’t happen! 

Day #7-8: Ok...back to it...one more layer (or 2) of paint on body...at 3a.m. or so…

And layers of metallic black on legs, later on.

Then, I decided to sand some more... I think the face is starting to look a different breed...

Day #8-9: Primed face with Gesso, and painted 1 more layer of purple and some black on mane/tail. Sanded one tiny area...

Day #10: Another layer of purple...more black on legs...


Day #11: I don't think I did anything...maybe sanded some little areas...who knows...

Day #12: Body Retouch

Day #13: Body retouch + Black on legs/mane/tail

Day #14: Painted some mane/tail areas with white acrylic paint

Day #15: Worked on Mane/Tail with yellow metallic paint 

Day #16: Glitter Pen details on mane/tail 

Day #17: Retouched body/tail + Purple Glitter pen details

Day #18: didn't touch it

Day #19: side tracked...started painting 2 other Stablemates...

Day #20: Sanded jaw area + repainted it

Day #21: Sanded some areas on front legs + Repainted them

Day #22: Wanted to seal it, but weather didn't help...

Day #23: Sealed it...finally! 

Day #24-25: Another layer of glossy varnish...thought I was done...but sealer reacted with mane and color bled down the side...looks ok, but I'm OCD...

Day #26: Retouched some body and tail areas

Day #27: signed it...and sealed it.

Day #28: Last check...photo shoot and I'm done!

Meet Violet Amethyst! 

Wow...took me too long to finish this tiny horse...

Well...my old kitty got very sick back in January and I was handfeeding her...until she started eating on her own about 2 weeks ago...besides daily subQs and some shots every 2-3 days for her...kids, other projects/work, laundry, etc...I was working very slowly...

But I guess it turned out ok...not too bad...for a fantasy/decorator model horse...

Here’s the other side:


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for all your lovely comments! They make my day! =)

Subscribe