Mother's Day Felt Flower Brooch: TutorialTuesday, July 31, 2012
This is what my friends and I made for Mother's Day at church: Felt Flower Brooches.
Materials: Felt, Fabric Glue (Beacon), Pins, Die-Cut Machine (Cuttlebug), "somewhat round" die of your choice.
1. Die-cut 8 pieces out of felt, using a die-cut machine. Or you could just use scissors...make a template out of cardboard, trace it onto the felt and cut it out.
2. Place a drop of glue in the center of the die-cut felt and fold it in half.
3. Then, place a drop of glue where my thumb is (in step 2) and fold the felt in half again.
4. Repeat steps 2 to 3 for 6 more pieces. You can use a paper clip to hold them in place until the glue settles a bit...then, they should look like this.
5. Using the piece you didn't glue as a base, place some glue in the middle and glue 4 of the "petals", as shown.
6. Now, put some glue in the middle of the flower base. Place the remaining 3 "petals" in your hand like so, and...
7. Glue them, as shown. Of course, you could glue them one by one...but I thought this way was easier to place them where I wanted, without having to fix them too much...
8. Glue the pin on the back (not shown). Fluff the "petals". Let the glue dry for a few hours, and they're ready to go!
P.S. I wrote "somewhat round die of you choice" because the pics show a scalloped edge flower (in black), but the pink brooches where done using a die that looks like a flower...so, the results might be a little different.
The black felt was cut using QuicKutz Nesting Flowers and the pink one was Sizzix Flower Layers.